Prevention is better than cure. You must have heard about this phrase numerous times when it comes to keeping our health in a good condition. But do you know that this same phrase goes for protecting your PC’s health as well? Well, for sure it does.
Preventing our PCs and laptops from viruses and malware is of immense importance as it may hamper its working and smooth functioning. Protecting your computers from attacks is really important as it can lead to a breach of privacy, leaking of confidential data, and most importantly the proper functioning.
You must have heard a lot about cyber attacks, viruses, trojans, spyware, ransomware, etc. Each of these terms comes under the super-category called Malware.
Let us begin with understanding what Malware is and what are its various types.
Malware And Its Different Types
Malware is basically software that infects systems to damage, disable or exploit the computer or even a network. It is a highly risky software that can lead to stealing, encrypting, or deleting confidential data, hijacking of core system functions, monitoring of user activity without any provided permission, extortion of money and assets, introducing any kind of spam, etc.
There are several types of Malwares that have been widely identified. They are mentioned as follows:-
- Trojan horse
How To Know You Have Malware In Your Computer?
Finding out whether your computer system is infected with malware can be done by observing the overall functioning of the system. Apart from that, go through the below-mentioned points which are prominent symptoms indicating that your computer has some presence of malware:-
- Unusual slowdown or frequent system freezing
- The occurrence of random spam and pop-up ads
- Frequent system crashes
- Sudden visibility of unknown icons on the desktop
- Redirection from a popular website to an entirely unknown website
- Creation of new files or folders without any prior permission
In case you notice these or some other random and unusual symptoms, it is time you take some action against it in order to protect your computer system and data. For this, you can make the most of the below-mentioned tips that can help you build a wall of security to safeguard your computer or laptop from any kind of misuse.
10 Easy Preventive And Security Tips To Protect Your PC
- Install Anti-virus Software – Installing anti-virus software is probably the best practice to keep your computer’s safety intact. Hence, install an antivirus for sure. It will not only scan, detect, and remove any kind of malware but will also prevent the entrance of newly created malware. Thus, install licensed anti-virus software and keep it up to date in order to secure your computer system.
- Keep Your Software Up To Date – It is very important to work on software that is latest and up to date. Having an updated software will help you stop any kind of cyber attack and will also create a hindrance for malware to enter your computer systems. Old or not-updated software is vulnerable and too risky too. Thus, make sure you use updated software.
- Avoid Clicking On Suspicious URLs – Phishing is one of the easiest ways for hackers or attackers for making an entry into your system. They do this by creating duplicate and false websites which when clicked on by a user, take up all the information and confidential data. They build websites of reputable businesses whose links may direct you to a fake website where you are prompted to enter your personal details and then directly infects your computer with malware. Hence, click on reliable sources only.
- Install Firewall – Another great and effective way to protect your computer systems is by installing a firewall. It is like an additional shield of security that prevents any type of malware from making an entry into your system. It reduces the chances of malware attacks and blocks unauthorized access.
- Purchase Softwares And Applications From A Reliable Source – If you are in need of any software or even an application, make sure you place an order and buy the same from a reliable source only. Do not purchase it from any random website. Also, before purchasing, check all of its details like the name, type, price, license, etc.
- Make The Most Of Secure Authentication Methods – To ensure your security and privacy, you must use secure authentication methods. For that, have strong passwords with at least eight to ten characters, including an uppercase letter, a lowercase letter, a number, and a symbol in each password. Then, enable multi-factor authentication, make use of biometric tools like voiceprints, fingerprints, facial or iris recognition, etc. Also, never ever save passwords on a computer or a network you use.
- Control Access To Your System – For controlling access and regulating your system, you can try various ways. You can do this by installing a firewall, an intrusion detection system (IDS), and an intrusion prevention system (IPS). Also, make it a point to never use unfamiliar remote drives or media. Along with this, close unused ports, remove inactive user accounts, and carefully read licensing agreements before installing various software.
- Implement E-mail Security And Spam Protection – E-mail is a common channel of malware. Hence, in order to minimize the risk of malware infection scan all incoming email messages, including attachments. Also, you can set spam filters and limit user access to only company-approved links and email addresses.
- Don’t Use Open Wi-Fi – It is advised to not use open Wi-Fi which is generally made available at restaurants, cafes, bus stops, etc. They are risky for your device, hence, do not use them. They are an easy entry for malware.
- Run Regularly Scheduled Scans With Your Anti-Virus Software – A very important but generally overlooked tip is running scheduled scans with your anti-virus. Instead of ignoring the scheduled scans, make sure you do the same every once in a while. This can protect your computer systems from unwanted and unexpected malware.
Thus, this was all about the preventive tips which you must make the most of for securing your computer and its data. By following these easy tips, you can make sure the healthy functioning of your system.